Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Does prodding people with fines to buy something they don't want improve their standard of living?

Without penalties that people pay under Obamacare, fewer would buy insurance (http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/13/politics/by-the-numbers-cbo-obamacare-repeal-gop/index.html). 

Many people claim that the reduction in number of people buying insurance if the Republicans remove the fines imposed by Obamacare is a reason to oppose the Republican plan. I question the logic.

I doubt the ability of someone else to decide what is best for me. As a classical liberal, I want the government to treat me as though I can decide what is best for me and to treat other people as I want to be treated. When people decide not to buy a product - insurance, caviar, Kirkland jeans, or Air Jordan Sneakers - they reveal that they think purchasing the product is not in their self interests. I don't see how prodding them to act contrary to their self interest by making them pay a tax if they act in their self interest makes them better off; they are buying something that they don't want to buy.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement. For something as personal as health care (and most other personal finances), it should be ultimately up to the consumer, who may never even have the use for such a plan. On the other hand, higher costs from the ACA may reduce the profitability of a business.

    ReplyDelete